Kimberley have released their updated "Data Communications Pak for 4G and GPS" and it really packs a punch for technology. This is more than just a 4G upgrade. The pak includes a 4G antenna and a GPS antenna with an industrial 4G modem and Wifi Router. You can get data speeds of up to 100Mb/s with good reception. This means downloading music and movies on line. Of course you have to choose the right data plan but these are getting more and more economical.
The industrial 4G modem and Wifi router can also be programmed to do the following: Ask any of your friends* to send an SMS to the SIM card number and the modem returns a message of the google map location of the unit. This is very simple and very effective. Of course you have to be in phone contact range. The 4G shark fin antenanne typically will improve the signal strength by 2 bars or more depending on the Kimberley model. This gives you greater effective range if range is feasible. (*For security, the friends phone number has to be a whitelist entry in the modem so you are not stalked or receive marketing spam)
The installation requires special locations and ground plate configuration for this to work effectively. The programing is unique innovation by Kimberley.
- What is the difference between a 4G M2M device and a normal home based 4G modem router?
- A home based 4G modem router is designed to route data from your computer or smartphone through to the 4G network over the air. Although you can connect back to these devices, they are really a one-way data communicator. In the bush, if they cant get through to the 4G network because you are temporarily out of range, they may sit in a standby mode until you activate a device on the network or re-boot them. They are NOT smart devices. They typically do not have external antennae connections and are designed for city based networks.
- A 4G M2M Modem router is an industrial grade modem/router device that is intelligent and designed for remote sites. These were developed to work independently in an “industrial” rugged environment and are typically found in mining or remote applications. The benefit of these devices is that you can send a simple SMS text and this triggers a program that returns information to you. In the Kimberley M2M Modem/Router, because we also fit a GPS enabled antennae, you can send an SMS with a code word and it will return the GPS coordinates of where the Kimberley is (providing you are in range). It has the capability to send more data in the future like all the Smart touch battery and system information as well as configuration. We can’t do this now, but it is coming in the future. It can also send other “triggered” information from a hardwired “emergency” button or breakdown button that we could easily wire in right now. Pressing this would send the GPS coordinates and flag the receiving person that there was a breakdown and to try to call or get in touch with the Kimberley user. We will offer this option in the future. The device is intelligent.
2. What is the difference between the 3G antenna and the new 4G antenna?
- From the outside they look similar. But on the inside there are 2 coax connectors and 2 sets of antennas. One is for 4G and the other is for the GPS.
3. What does the Customer need to do?
- Purchase a SIM card and corresponding data service. Because it is 4G, ensure the data service is large enough. They also need to record the associated SMS phone number to this SIM card. This will be the number that an SMS can be sent to to “trigger” the modem in the future.
- Log into the device and configure the data provider APN
- Kimberley recommends the Telstra Network.
4. What Data Speeds can I get?.
- PEAK DATA SPEED in good reception:
- LTE: Category 3
- 100 Mbps / 50 Mbps (Downlink/Uplink) (20Mhz bandwidth)
- 50 Mbps / 25 Mbps (Downlink/Uplink) (10Mhz bandwidth)
- HSPA+: 42 Mbps downlink (Category 24) 5.76 Mbps uplink (Category 6)
- EDGE: 236 kbps throughput
5. What Wifi Speeds can I get?
- High throughput and extended range 802.11n 2T2R WiFi with transmission speeds up to 300Mbps
6. What GPS performance can I get ?
- Embedded GPS receiver (1575.42Mhz)
- Tracking sensitivity under open sky: -161dBm
- Acquisition sensitivity under open sky: -145dBm Cold start sensitivity: -145dBm
- Time to first fix (TTFF): Cold 32s, Warm 29s, Hot 1s
what Models is this available on?
All Kimberley Models:
Kimberley Kamper and Platinum Range
Kimberley Karavan and Eco-suite Range
Kimberley Kruiser S Class Range
Kimberley Kruiser T Class Range